Hockey Stick Length Sizing Guide
The length of your field hockey stick is very important. To help you choose from our range of hockey sticks the staff at Sportology with our experience and know how have listed a few methods for choosing a hockey stick length below.
- Junior Hockey Sticks are available in sizes 24” up to full size 36.5”. Junior sticks are available in wood or fibre glass.
- To measure a child (5 Ft 2” or under) hold the hockey stick at their side and it should be just under their hip or belly button.
- If you cannot decide between two lengths, you should consider your child’s position. On defence, a longer stick is useful to provide a longer reach and to allow the player to drive the ball further. On the other hand, a shorter stick improves a player’s stick handling skills when dribbling.
- Once a young person reaches around 5 ft 3”), they should be comfortable with a full size sstick which is called a 36.5 inches, so you do not need to measure the stick to your hip or belly button once you reach this height.
- Senior Hockey Sticks are available in wood, fibre glass and composite, eg a combination of fibre glass, kevlar and carbon. When senior players are choosing a hockey stick they will choose a stick based on what feels comfortable for them and their style, so it is more of a personal choice.
- The majority of hockey players use a 36.5” stick. The best way to choose a hockey stick is to come into the shop and speak to our expert staff, try out a few sticks and choose the one that feels the best for you.
- There are no left handed hockey sticks, all field hockey sticks are made to be played right handed.
|26″||3′ 5″ – 3′ 7″|
|28″||3′ 8″ – 4′ 0″|
|30″||4′ 1″ – 4′ 3″|
|32″||4′ 4″ – 4′ 6″|
|34″||4′ 7″ – 5′ 0″|
|35″||5′ 1″ – 5′ 2″|
|36.5″||5′ 3″ upwards|
|37.5″||5′ 10″ upwards|
NOTE: If you are 5’10” you don’t have to use a 37.5″ stick, it is completely a matter of personal choice and equally someone under 5’10” may prefer a slightly longer hockey stick and opt for the 37.5″, in our experience the majority of hockey players chooose a 36.5″ hockey stick. The best advice we can offer is to come in and try out a few hockey sticks so that you choose the stick that is most suitable for your position and style of play.